• ALBUM REVIEW: 'Perfectly Imperfect' - Elle Varner


    The creativity that singer Elle Varner displayed in the lyrics for her debut mixtape 'Conversational Lush' instantly had me hooked to this diva. I remember listening to 'Refill' three months before it was released and thinking that this chick is definitely going to be big. Her raspy voice definitely gives Elle V an edge over other artist that are on the radio today.

    The 'Conversational Lush' mix tape was so good that I was honestly afraid that Elle used all of her good tracks on it. Elle Varner's debut album 'Perfectly Imperfect' is exactly what the title labels it.

    From the snippets that surfaced earlier this week, I knew that the soulful slow jam 'Not Tonight' would be one of my faves. Elle sings about being the girl that is bold enough to approach a guy versus him approaching her but she isn't going to do it that night. Elle's self harmonizing and the musical arrangement which included a harp and electric guitar definitely makes this track epic. Like I stated, I became a fan of Elle's due to her creative lyrical content. Elle sings about being there for her beau by using the comparison of 'I'll be there lighter than a leaf in your pocket, I'll be the air' in the song 'Leaf'; sexy track.

    Did Elle just take us back to the 80s in her track titled 'Stop the Clock'? I love it. The way that Elle meshes today's R&B and sneaks in that liquor drinking, hip-throwing beat during the hook is simply brilliant.

    In all honesty, a tear literally rolled down my face as I listened to 'Welcome Home'. The song is so relatable for anyone that has been on that journey to find love. Elle sings 'when all I ever needed was a good man, a lover, and a best friend ... someone to forgive me when I'm so wrong and reminds me welcome home'. Another track that I found to be very relatable was 'Damn Good Friends' where Elle sings about having that close friend that she is in love with but they don't know; the guitar adds so much. If I didn't know any better I would say that Elle Varner stole my diary and wrote an album from it.

    'Oh What A Night' can definitely pass for a crossover hit. The track is so fun where we hear Elle sing about hanging out with her friends and getting drunk. She likes to drink, huh? Many of you are familiar with 'So Fly' which was also featured on her mix tape and also has the potential to be another crossover hit.

    Elle Varner's début album 'Perfectly Imperfect' is definitely a must-have for those that are craving a taste of the 'blues' in R&B. I wish that Elle would have implemented a bit more creativity in her lyrics like we find in 'Conversational Lush'. Her raspy voice is so addictive and serves me an Al Green meets Solange Knowles vibe. 'Perfectly Imperfect' hits stores on August 7th.

     

    0 comments → ALBUM REVIEW: 'Perfectly Imperfect' - Elle Varner

    Post a Comment