• ALBUM REVIEW: 'The MF Life' - @MelanieFiona


    What exactly makes an album ‘great’? Collaborations and production teams have very little influence on me liking an album; it is rather the artist delivery of the material that draws me to it. I honestly did not know what to expect when I began to listen to singer Melanie Fiona’s sophomore album ‘The MF Life’. Radio hasn’t been that accepting of her material since her debut single ‘It Kills Me’ from her previous album. 

    I did not purchase Melanie’s debut album ‘The Bridge’ however I glanced thru it and wasn’t drawn to the combustion of tracks that did not mesh well.  
    I’m a fan of songs that serve me an oldie vibe such as Melanie did in ‘Running’ which features rapper Nas. In the track, which sounds like it could have been written for the late Amy Winehouse, we find Melanie singing about having to chase after the one that she is in love with. Another track where Melanie served me a vintage vibe would be in ‘Bones’ in which she sings about wanting to be closer to her lover. I can almost see Melanie with a 40s Marilyn Monroe hairdo as she sings ‘gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme your bones’.

    It is no secret that most artist compile their best material when they are going thru a bad breakup which is why I find it hard to believe that Melanie recently called it quits with her boyfriend months after recording this album. In the slow track of ‘I Been That Girl’ we hear Melanie nearly whisper as she sings about being that girl that has been in that bad relationship to the point where I can actually believe she has experienced what she is singing about. Melanie also sounds believable in ‘Break Down These Walls’ as she sings about being in a one-sided relationship with someone that has their guard up. I absolutely love that nearly all of the tracks on the album are about real life situations that I for one can relate with.

    Did I mention that this girl can ‘sang’? ‘Wrong Side Of A Love Song’ had me nearly in tears as I listened while sipping my Moscato and glancing thru pictures of my ex. Melanie really showcased her vocals in the track as she belts that ‘I don’t wanna be without you’ to her spouse. 

    It wouldn’t be fair in this age to not include some more ‘radio acceptable’ tracks. In crossover track ‘Change The Record’ which features rapper B.O.B., Melanie sings about ‘moving on’ past a relationship over a heavy drum and piano background. I honestly did not care for the track ‘6 AM’ which features T-Pain until I experienced the beat via my car speakers (computer speakers do nothing for the mid-tempo track). Is that Beyonce’s ‘Ring The Alarm’ I hear? No. It’s ‘This Time’ which features rapper J.Cole where Melanie declares what she will do whatever it takes to make her relationship right if she gets another chance. 

    If Melanie stripped away all of her collaborations, ‘The MF Life’ would still be an amazing album. Melanie sings each song like she is living what she is preaching. If you are looking for a party album then this will not satisfy you. Real music. I am definitely a new fan of this ‘artist’. 

    0 comments → ALBUM REVIEW: 'The MF Life' - @MelanieFiona

    Post a Comment