• ALBUM REVIEW: 'True' - @SolangeKnowles


    Anyone that keeps up with my blog posts would know that I was very upset with Solange after hearing the snippets from her new EP True one week ago. You can't judge a book by its cover nor can you judge an album from its snippets. Solange embodied everything I wanted from her vocally and lyrically into this 7-track EP which is due out this week.

    The singer makes her return to the music industry via Terrible Records for the first time since the release of her last album Solange & The Hadley Street Dreams in 2008. The album serves a heavy vintage tease. Solange has been quoted as stating that she pulled inspiration for the album from the New Wave era which is very evident in the dance tracks which also punch a heavy urban influence. The album is produced by Solange's friend and collaborator Dev Hynes.

    Something about Solange's new music makes me want to hit up the thrift store and find the craziest patterns/colors to rock while not giving a damn about what anyone says because I am feeling good. Makes sense? 'Don't Let Me Down' is definitely my fave from the compilation. The musical arrangement for the track is sick and Solange gives me those vocals that I fell in love with on her last album as she sings about not wanting her significant other to let her down. Can someone pass me a cup of Whiskey and a fat blunt as I twirl in my office while snapping my fingers to this track? If I were to die and come back as a soprano in someone's choir I would definitely want to be Solange. Solo serves us some ole nasty vocals and harmonizing in the track 'Bad Girls' which also carries a very heavily influenced 80s vibe which stems from the use of the electric guitar. Love it! 

    Ch. Solange tried to slide us a sexy slow jam into True. Have you ever met that bad guy that stays in trouble but it turns you on so much? Me too. Solange sings about that guy that your family will always hate in the track 'Look Good In Trouble.' The song is very short and simple but still managed to end up in my top three favorites from the album. The beat resembles that of a heart beating which makes the track very catchy. Yes GAWD! 'Locked In Closets' is definitely the track that will have all the 'girls' popping it at the next barbecue. The bass in the beat will draw you in from the first drop when the track starts. Can Solange release this track to radio? 


    'Lovers In The Park' has grown on me since surfacing earlier this week. "Played around with your heart, now I'm playing around in the dark,' she sings. I relate heavily with the track because I do play around with people emotions a lot and end up feeling stupid when they don't want me anymore. Very catchy musical arrangement. If I could eliminate one track from the album it would be 'Some Things Never Seem to F**cking Work.' The track does nothing for me even though it has a catchy title and the face that she sounds good.

    Overall, I am absolutely in love with the True EP. The tracks flow very smoothly with one another and if you listen closely the package tells a story that I am sure that each of us adults can relate to. This EP will hold me over quite well until Solange releases her third studio album. Think the Beatles meet Prince and a few other legends in one perfect collection. I'm actually glad that Solange didn't include 'Sleep In The Park' on the EP. I am hooked on the track but it doesn't fit in with the vibe of these tracks. [Rating: 9 out 10]

    0 comments → ALBUM REVIEW: 'True' - @SolangeKnowles

    Post a Comment