• ALBUM REVIEW: 'Looking For Myself' - Usher



    I will assume that singer Usher found himself on his newest album 'Looking For Myself'. Honestly, I didn't know what to expect from the singer on his seventh studio album after the release of his first singles which included Diplo produced track 'Climax' and dance track 'Scream'. Can we say Usher put the 'blues' in R&B?

    Usher definitely caught the hint that his most successful album 'Confessions' contained a lot of slow jams which caused it to become so successful. To my surprise, the album contained more slow jams than club anthems. The Danja produced track 'I Care For You', my favorite from the album, is what I would definitely label 'baby-making music'. We hear Usher sing about being in love with his heart on his sleeve on a very unique beat with a pounding drum as the singer digs into his falsetto for the hook. The magicians which created singer Kelly Rowland's 'Motivation', Rico Love and Jim Jonson, teamed up for another hit which we find in 'Dive'. The song is definitely for the mature as the singer says 'the walls look like they are about to precipitate' in addition to 'I don't need a lifesaver baby, going deeper ain't gonna kill me'. Can someone pass me a fan? Am I the only one that caught the Notorious B.I.G. sample of 'One More Chance (Remix)' at the beginning of the track 'What Happened To U'? Something makes me feel sexy about the mid-tempo track. I almost conceived and gave birth from 'Lesson For The Lovers'.

    There is no denying who Usher draws his musical inspirations from. I couldn't help but think about the late James Brown in the Pharrell Williams produced track 'Twisted' which is another fave from the album. The uptempo track serves a nasty blues beat full of 'ha' and a nice bass drop which makes you want to glide across the floor like the Godfather of Soul. Did anyone else want to go sit in a juke joint and smoke a cigar when they first heard 'Sins Of My Father'. Pure blues. I absolutely love the way that Usher uses his falsetto in the track as he sings about falling for a female who eventually traps him by getting pregnant.  Sound familiar? I caught a little of Michael Jackson's inspiration in the track 'Show Me' where Usher sings about sex once again. I also felt a little of MJ in title track 'Looking For Myelf' which features Luke Steele.

    Mr. Raymond made sure he gave his dance craze fans what they wanted in a few of the tracks which included album opener 'Can't Stop Won't Stop'. The song perfectly meshes dance and urban music into pure fist pumping music. Honestly, the only part I like of the track is the 'can't stop it, can't can't stop it' part with the drum beat in the back. 'Euphoria' was too much for me. Pure Euro-Pop.

    Overall, the album was greater than I could have ever imagined. I can honestly say that I am a fan of Usher's after this album and will be purchasing 'Looking For Myself' on Tuesday. I would have appreciated one heavy urban club track though. Can we get another collabo with Luda and Lil Jon? Great album.

    0 comments → ALBUM REVIEW: 'Looking For Myself' - Usher

    Post a Comment